Monday, October 8, 2007

David Mathew Bonner

Over the years, I have done a lot of things in order to run my Edmonton Based company, David Mathew Bonner Video Productions. On top of the video productions, I needed to learn how to build sites, how search engines work, how to get to the top of search engines, how to market, how to sell, how to fix computers, how to operate a ton of software, and most important, how to remain creative and passionate about art and life. I also had to learn how to juggle all those balls at once and separate my mind into three sections. The art side, the business side and the tech side. Hence, the name of the blog, a Beautiful mind. I have also been told that I resemble Russell Crow at times.
Primarily, my focus has been on video productions and I have done well for myself. My company has earned international recognition, we have won awards, and recently I have been invited to share my knowledge on Event videography at a national conference in Florida. I have done well for someone who has been self taught in all aspects of business and production.

Recently, I have reached the point where I see my other skill sets have become more valuable to the public and I have begun to offer more then just video as part of my portfolio. This has all lead to the creation of a new blog where I can share more of my work besides video production.
A current sample of some recent work is the creation of an Edmonton Photography and Edmonton Wedding Photographers Network. The purpose of the site is to help educate the Edmonton region on some of the top photographers in the city. I have asked my network to help supply non-biased information on all aspects of photography. I must admit, it has been like pulling teeth to get some of them to follow up and write the articles but once they understand the benefit, I know it will open a flood gate.

In the meantime, I have worked on the back-end of the site and focused my efforts on SEO (search engine optimization) work. I am happy to say that within a month, the site shows up on top searches for MSN. If you search a number of keywords like Edmonton Photography, Edmonton Photographer, Edmonton Wedding Photography, Edmonton Wedding Photographer, the site is in the top 20 on Msn. This is a huge accomplishment in a very short time. The site is also climbing the Google ranks and is in the top 30 in a number of other keywords as well. The Edmonton Photography Market is so flooded with websites, that this has been one of my biggest challenges to date and I am very proud of my results.

Some other work I have done this past week is personal. My son, who is seven, wanted a website for his sports. He plays football and hockey. I wanted to make an eye popping front page so I took an image I had of him and with some Photoshop work, I made it sizzle. Here are the before and afters
Another amount of time was recently devoted to non-profit groups. One group is the Alberta Pond Hockey Tournament in Peace River. CFRN TV provided me raw footage from last year to edit a promo video for the 2008 Tournament. The Peace River Pond Hockey Tournament raises awareness and monies in support of local youth programs and Special Olympics in Alberta. Warner Music also granted us permission to use the song "Better Days" by the Goo Goo dolls. Here is a close to final draft of the video.



Last but not least, I have also shot some training videos this past week for one of Canada's largest companies. Short Skits that help provide alternative training in proper procedures. The project is a part of an Advanced Adult Learning technique which focuses on both types of learning methods, Auditory and Visual, as well as written material which I wasn't a part of.

As you can see, I have been busy but in the midst of all of this, I got away for the weekend and enjoyed my cousins wedding. I did shoot some video and took some pictures but it was all 'unofficially'. Here are some snap shots I took over the weekend. PS - my daughter Sara was a flowergirl.

No comments: